Cleaning, Fabric, And Stain Removal Terms
- ALTERATIONS AND REPAIR
- Many minor repairs such as seams or hems that need to be restitched, or buttons that need to be tightened, can be provided by a professional dry cleaner.
- AREA RUGS
- The correct method of cleaning needs to be implemented according to the rug’s fabric content and backing.
- A bias is the diagonal of a woven fabric between the warp (lengthwise) and the filling (crosswire) threads. This amount of stretch can easily be distorted in the cleaning and pressing process.
- To best maintain blanket size, hand, and appearance, dry cleaning is recommended.
- Dyes that aren’t colorfast in solvent or water are said to “bleed.” When the color runs, it can stain other materials. If this happens, bring or ship the affected items to Davis Imperial Cleaners.
- BOXING [SEE HEIRLOOMING]
- CHRISTENING GOWNS
- When cleaned by professionals, your gown’s beads and sequins should be sewn both before and after cleaning. Then experienced finishers use the pressing equipment that is appropriate for your gown’s particular fabric. Finally, steps are taken to protect against oxidation and moisture.
- Davis Imperial Cleaners offers the proven Adjust-a-Drape process, which assures that the exact length of your draperies is maintained throughout the dry cleaning process. You never have to worry about the hemlines becoming even, either. Davis Imperial Cleaners ships nationwide.
- DRY CLEANING
- Dry cleaning simply means cleaning with little or no water. This style of cleaning is done on fabrics that water might harm or shrink. The best spotting agents, detergents, and sizings are only available from a few professional dry cleaners. Davis Imperial Cleaners provides the most detailed processes and time-honored techniques of dry cleaning. Davis Imperial Cleaners ships nationwide.
- Cleaning and dying of garments and household items that are made of natural fibers can cover lightened or stained areas.
- FEATHER BED AND FEATHER PILLOW
- A cover is the most important single factor in the care of a feather bed or pillow because it protects the feathers from perspiration, soiling, and wear. With regular fluffing, feather pillows and comforters will last longer and provide better insulation. A few vigorous shakes is enough to redistribute the fill and prevent matting. Should your feather bed or feather pillow need cleaning, we recommend professional dry cleaning.
- A wide variety of flags may be dry cleaned. Davis Imperial Cleaners does not charge to clean the American flag.
- FUR STORAGE
- Professional cold storage is always recommended. The environment should be 58% humidity and 45 degrees Fahrenheit. If storing the coat at home, use a broad hanger, and do not cover the coat with plastic. Plastic, which has no pores for air ventilation, will prevent the coat from breathing. This will cause drying of the skins, and will prematurely age the coat. Davis Imperial Cleaners will protect your furs from moths and other insect damage. Davis Imperial Cleaners ships nationwide.
- Interfacing is a fabric used to give additional body and strength to certain parts of garments, such as front-opening edges, collars, and pocket flaps. Some interfacing material may not be compatible with the shell fabric, which can lead to bubbling or puckering.
- A natural fiber that comes from the jute plant, jute is used in burlap, twine and rope, trimmings, and backing for rugs, but seldom in garments.
- A lampshade will last longer and look better through dry cleaning care. Send to Davis Imperial Cleaners for expert handling.
- Specialized care is recommended to retain the supple beauty and luster of your leathers.
- The nap is a fuzzy or soft down-like surface produced by brushing the fabric, usually with wire brushes.
- OLD [SEE ANTIQUE]
- PRESERVATION [SEE HEIRLOOMING]
- REBEADING [SEE ALTERATIONS & REPAIR]
- The fine, expert skill of reweaving is becoming more and more a lost art. However, Davis Imperial Cleaners is still able to restore torn or moth-damaged areas in your favorite wool clothes through reweaving that is nearly invisible.
- REPAIR [SEE ALTERATIONS & REPAIR]
- RUGS [SEE AREA RUGS]
- Sanitone offers the best spotting agents, detergents, and sizings from the leader in dry cleaning chemistry since 1932.
- SHEEPSKIN RUGS [SEE AREA RUGS]
- “Sizing” is a term for materials used to give a fabric stiffness, luster, or firmness. Different types of material are used on different fabrics.
- STAINS [SEE TOUGH STAIN INDEX]
- Specialized care is recommended to retain the subtle, soft nap of your suedes.
- Many cleaners will not spot a tie, press a tie, and roll the outside edges properly. Davis Imperial Cleaners will take apart, press flat, and restitch a tie to keep your tie looking like new.
- WEDDING DRESS [SEE WEDDING GOWNS]
- WEDDING GOWNS
- Cleaning, restoration, and preservation of wedding gowns and other cherished garments have distinguished Davis Imperial Cleaners for many years. Further, to ensure a like-new condition, we sew your gown’s beads and sequins both before and after cleaning. Then we have experienced finishers use the pressing equipment that is appropriate for your gown’s particular fabric. Finally, to protect against oxidation and moisture, your gown is preserved with our special heirlooming packaging. Davis Imperial Cleaners ships nationwide.
3325 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
Chicago, IL 60659
Chicago Business Hours
Monday – Friday
7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
1920 Harrison Street
(between Prairie & Green Bay)
Evanston, IL 60201
Evanston Business Hours
Monday – Wednesday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.